The Uruguay star is closing in on a
comeback but has reopened old
wounds over an incident which
occurred during his time in England
Luis Suarez has
again protested his
innocence over the
clash with Patrice
Evra which resulted
in the then Liverpool striker being
found guilty of racially abusing the
Frenchman.
Suarez, who left Merseyside for
Barcelona over the summer, admitted
he has made mistakes in a
controversial career but insisted he
should not have been punished for his
verbal spat with Evra during the Reds’
clash with Manchester United in
October 2011.
The Football Association handed
Suarez, 27, an eight-match ban and a
€50,000 fine after studying video
footage, details in the referee’s report
and statements from other players on
the pitch.
In a wide-ranging interview with
Barcelona’s media channel, Suarez felt
he had been incorrectly sanctioned.
“When I say I’m sorry it’s because I
regret something,” he said. “Being
sorry implies regret. But they have also
sometimes judged me on things that
aren’t true, such as the racism thing. I
was accused without evidence and
that’s what grieved me the most."
“The others were actions when it was
me who did wrong. I accepted that and
begged forgiveness, but the racism
thing, when I was accused without
evidence, that did upset me."
The Uruguayan is currently serving a
four-month suspension for biting Italy
defender Giorgio Chiellini during the
World Cup – an act for which he
expressed his regret.
He added: "It is good to accept that you
have made a mistake and that’s what I
did. I left it a few days because you
have to remember that I’m only human
and sometimes it’s hard to face the
truth.
“I found it hard to take in and to realise
what I had done. Those were days
when I didn’t want to know about it. I
just wanted to be with my wife and
children, who supported me through
that time. I didn’t want to listen to
anybody, or speak to anybody. I didn’t
want to accept it."
No comments:
Post a Comment