Not for the first time, Manchester United
manager Louis van Gaal is facing a selection
headache – this time in defence for
Sunday's match against Everton.
The Dutchman has been forced to rotate his
rearguard personnel due to a spate of injuries
and suspension. In fact, no fewer than 12
players have featured across the defensive
line in just six Barclays Premier League
matches.
Van Gaal’s options this weekend are boosted
by the availability of Tyler Blackett, who has
served the one-match suspension for his red
card in the 5-3 defeat to Leicester City.
Having been a regular in the manager’s plans
beforehand, the Mancunian defender from
nearby Hulme is keen to regain his starting
berth.
“Obviously, I want to play in every game and
I am trying to impress the manager enough
to keep my place in his team,” Tyler told
ManUtd.com. “At first, I would have been
happy just to gain experience by being in and
around the squad. But now that I have
played a few games, it is one of those
situations when you are hungry for more.
“There is healthy competition among the
defenders. We have banter in training and we
are all pushing each other to improve.
Marcos [Rojo] and Daley [Blind] have both
come in and I think we have a good
connection between us. We all want to
succeed.”
Given van Gaal’s stated aversion to pairing
two left-sided centre-backs, Blackett appears
to be in competition with Rojo following the
latter's admirable display against West Ham.
The Argentinian has previously played well as
a left-back but now has Luke Shaw staking a
claim there after a successful debut last
Saturday. Factor in the possible return of Phil
Jones, and young Paddy McNair's impressive
entrance into senior football, and the boss
could have a number of decisions to make in
defence.
No comments:
Post a Comment