Thursday, 11 September 2014
Gary Neville Criticises Welbeck Sale
England coach Gary Neville has criticised Manchester United for selling forward Danny Welbeck to Arsenal, stating that the £16m fee was massively cut-priced.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Neville said the deal made very little sense in terms of United aiding a direct competitor and in the context of transfer market values. Welbeck completed the move to United's Premier League rivals on transfer deadline day, after being told he wasn't considered a part of manager Louis van Gaal's plans for the season ahead.
Neville said: "I can’t work it out. After all the prices I've seen paid this summer and, obviously I've been working with him the last week, I'm thinking how is it just £16m?
"There’s been right-backs and left-backs galore who have been bought for £15m this summer. How have they got him for £16m?
"I can’t work it out to this day, it’s a strange one. It really does feel strange that it's a centre forward and actually it’s helped out a competitor, someone who will be vying for those third and four places with United this season.
"I’m struggling to understand the logic behind the deal in two or three ways really."
Welbeck is set to make his debut for Arsenal this weekend against Premier League champions Manchester City.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment